[ Prep Time: 10 hr | Cooking Time: 30 min | Serving: 6 ]
Soy milk is a plant based milk made from soybeans, it has lots of benefits such as high protein content, little saturated fat and no cholesterol. More importantly, it contains no lactose and, therefore, serve as an excellent milk alternative for those who are lactose-intolerant. It could be used as milk alternative to make smoothie, coffee and tea for vegans and vegetarians.
250 g Soybean (Dry)
10 Cup Water (2500 mL)
80 g Rock Sugar
1. Rinse soybeans (250 g) with water and soak them with water for at least 10 hrs. (Water level should be about an inch above the soybeans)
2. Drain the soybeans and set them aside.
3. Add the soybeans and water (1000 mL) to the blender. Blend until smooth.
4. Filter through a cheesecloth to extract raw soy milk.
5. Transfer the raw soy milk to a pot through a mesh strainer with a cheesecloth.
6. Add water (1500 mL) to extract more raw soy milk by kneading the cheesecloth containing blended soybean gently.
7. Transfer the remaining raw soy milk to the pot through a mesh strainer.
8. Skim off the scum and add rock sugar (80 g). Bring it to a boil and simmer for 15 min.
Boil the raw soy milk for 15 min to break down the soy protein which could cause soy allergy.
Store the fresh soy milk in the fridge and consume it within 3 days.