[ Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 100 min | Serving: 3 ]
Braised pork belly is a famous Shandong cuisine in China. It has a perfect sweet and savoury flavour. After slow cooking, the pork belly is very tender and almost melts in your mouth!
1 kg Pork Belly
2 Garlic Clove
2 Sliced Ginger
1 Scallion Stalk
2 Star Anise
2 Bay Leaves
500 mL Beer
1½ Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
½ Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1. Blanch the pork belly (1 kg) for 30 min.
2. Drain and rinse the pork belly, cut into cubes.
3. Render lard, drain the excess fat.
4. Stir fry the ginger (2 slices), scallion (1 stalk) and garlic (2 cloves).
5. Add light soy sauce (3 tbsp), dark soy sauce (½ tbsp) and white sugar (1½ tbsp), stir fry for ½ min.
6. Add beer (500 mL), star anise (2 pcs) and bay leaves ( 2 pcs). Cover and simmer for 60 min.
7. Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Blanching pork belly could help to remove the blood residue.
Adjust cooking time according to the output of the hob.