[ Prep Time: 1 hr | Cooking Time: 45 min | Serving: 4 ]
Taiwanese braised pork is a rich and very comforting dish. It’s super easy to make and perfect with steamed rice!
700 g Pork Belly
25 g Shiitake Mushroom
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic (Recipe Here)
30 g Rock Sugar
2 Tbsp Dark Brown Sugar
3 Bay Leaves
3 Star Anise
50 g Fried Shallot
¼ Tsp Five Spice Powder
¼ Tsp Ground White Pepper
800 mL Water
3 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Shaoxing Wine
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tbsp Sweet Soy Sauce
1. Rinse shiitake mushroom (25 g), then soak with hot water (300 mL) for 1 hr.
2. Remove the stem of the mushroom, cut into cubes and keep the mushroom broth.
3. Blench pork belly (700 g) with ginger (3 slices).
4. Drain and rinse the pork belly, cut into cubes and set aside.
5. Prepare the sauce mix by mixing dark soy sauce (2 tbsp), light soy sauce (3 tbsp), Shaoxing wine (1 tbsp), sweet soy sauce (1 tbsp) and oyster sauce (1 tbsp).
6. Put bay leaves (3 pcs) and star anise (3 pcs) in a tea bag and set aside.
7. Add dark brown sugar (2 tbsp) and water (2 tbsp) to a pan, simmer over low heat and stir until it caramelised and thickened.
8. In a cold pan, stir fry chopped pork belly over medium heat to render the fat.
9. Add chopped mushroom, stir fry for ½ min.
10. Add minced garlic (1 tbsp) and dark brown sugar syrup, stir fry for ½ min.
11. Add five spice (¼ tsp), ground white pepper (¼ tsp) and sauce mix, stir fry for ½ min.
12. Add mushroom stock (300 mL), water (500 ml), star anise and bay leaves, mix well.
13. Add fried shallot (50 g) and rock sugar (30 g), cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 min.
14. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for additional 25 min.
15. Place the braised pork on a bowl of rice to serve.