[ Prep Time: 15 min | Cooking Time: 30 min | Serving: 4 ]
Similar to chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is one of the most popular Indian curries. This sauce is deliciously rich and creamy and it is best served with rice and Naan bread.
600 g Boneless Chicken Thighs
500 g Tomato
200 mL Water
160 g Onion
90 g Double Cream
70 g Unsalted Butter
50 g Cashew Nuts
30 g Grated Ginger
10 Garlic Cloves
4 Tbsp White Sugar
3 Tbsp Chilli Powder
2 Tbsp Malt Vinegar
1 Tsp Garam Masala
1½ Tsp Salt
1. Cut the boneless chicken thighs (600 g) into cubes. Marinate it with pressed garlic (5 cloves), grated ginger (30 g), chilli powder (1 tbsp) and salt (1 tsp).
2. Peel and slice the onion (160 g) into chunks.
3. Cut tomato (500 g) into chunks.
4. In a pan, stir fry chicken pieces with oil (2 tbsp) over medium heat for 4 min. Remove chicken pieces from the pan and set aside.
5. Melt unsalted butter (70 g) in the same pan over medium heat and stir fry the chopped onion, garlic (5 cloves), tomato and cashew nuts (50 g).
6. Add water (200 mL), salt (½ tsp), malt vinegar (2 tbsp), white sugar (4 tbsp), garam masala (1 tsp) and chilli powder (2 tbsp), simmer over low heat for 15 min.
7. Transfer it to a bowl and blend the sauce mixture until smooth.
8. Strain the sauce mixture back to the pan.
9. Add the chicken pieces and double cream (90 g).
10. Simmer over low heat for 10 min.
Take extra care when blending the hot sauce mixture.