[ Prep Time: 20 min | Cooking Time: 10 min | Serving: 2 ]
Popcorn chicken is one of the most popular Taiwanese street food that you could find at the night markets in Taiwan. These bite-sized pieces of chicken are very flavourful and crunchy. They are addictively delicious and can be made from scratch within 30 minutes!
400 g Boneless Chicken Thighs
100 g Sweet Potato Flour
¼ Tsp Salt
¼ Tsp White Pepper
2 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Cooking Wine
1 Tbsp White Sugar
½ Tsp Five Spice Powder
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Ginger Powder
1. Cut the boneless chicken thighs (400 g) into cubes.。
2. Add light soy sauce (2 tbsp), cooking wine (1 tbsp), white sugar (1 tbsp), five spice powder (½ tsp), garlic powder (1 tsp) and ginger powder (1 tsp) to the chicken thighs. Mix well, cover it with cling film and marinate for 15 min.
3. Add chicken pieces and sweet potato flour (100 g) to a box, cover with a lid and shake well to coat the chicken pieces with the flour.
4. Heat up cooking oil to 170 °C over medium heat. Deep fry the chicken pieces at 170 °C for 2 min.
5. Remove the popcorn chicken. Heat up the oil over medium heat to 180 °C and deep fry the chicken pieces at 180 °C for 1 min.
6. Season it with salt (¼ tsp) and white pepper (¼ tsp) to serve.