[ Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 20 min | Serving: 3 ]
Portuguese chicken is a signature Macanese dish made with tender chicken and veggies in aromatic coconut turmeric sauce. This dish is best served over rice, noodles or pasta!
300 g Boneless Chicken Thighs
200 g Potato
150 g Carrot
½ Onion (100 g)
3 Garlic Cloves
100 g Chorizo
20 g Black olives
10 g Desiccated coconut
1 Bay leaf
200 mL Water
1 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
1½ Tbsp Chicken Powder
½ Tsp White Pepper Powder
20 g Unsalted butter
20 g Plain flour
300 mL Coconut Milk
1. Preheat oven to 220 °C.
2. Peel and cut the carrot (150 g) into small pieces.
3. Peel and cut the potato (200 g) into small pieces.
4. Peel and cut the onion (½ pc) into small pieces.
5. Cut the chorizo (100 g) into slices.
6. Cut the chicken thighs (300 g) into cubes. Marinate it with turmeric powder (1 tbsp), chicken powder (1½ tbsp) and white pepper powder (½ tsp).
7. Stir fry the chicken thighs with oil (2 tbsp) and garlic (3 cloves) over medium heat. Add the vegetables, mix well.
8. Add water (200 mL) and bay leaf (1 pc), cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 min.
9. In a separate pan, melt unsalted butter (20 g) over low heat and add plain flour (20 g). Gradually add coconut milk (300 mL) while stirring, simmer over medium heat to form the roux.
10. Add the roux to the chicken thighs, mix well. Simmer over high heat until the sauce has thickened.
11. Transfer to a baking dish, add chorizo slices, black olives (20 g) and desiccated coconut (10 g) on top. Bake at 220 °C for 10 min.
When preparing the roux, it is important to stir the mixture continuously over low heat in order to create a smooth, creamy sauce.