[ Prep Time: 3 hr | Baking Time: 15 min | Serving: 8 ]
Sausage bun is one of the most popular bread among Asian bakeries. It is a classic Chinese style bun with sausage wrapped with light and soft bread made with the utane dough method.
8 Hot Dog Sausages
320 g Bread Flour
20 g Milk Powder
30 g Butter
30 g Sugar
3 g Salt
6 g Yeast
100 mL Milk
100 mL Water
1. Preheat oven to 180 °C.
2. Prepare utane dough by heating bread flour (20 g) and water (100 mL) over medium heat while continuously mixing with a spatula. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and set aside to let it cool.
3. In a bowl, add butter (30 g), milk (100 mL), utane dough, egg (1 pc), white sugar (30 g), milk powder (20 g), salt (3 g), bread flour (300 g) and yeast (6 g).
4. Mix and knead the dough, then let it rise for 2 hr.
5. Deflate and divide the dough into eight equal portions on a floured surface.
6. Knead each portion into a long tube, about 2 times longer than the sausage. Wrap the dough around the hot dog sausage, with seals facing down. Repeat the process and place all the buns on parchment paper.
7. Leave it for the second round of proofing for 45 min.
8. Brush whisked egg on the surface of buns and bake at 180 °C for 15 min.
It is recommended to mix and knead the dough with a bread maker.
The buns can be stored in a freezer for up to 4 weeks.