[ Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 15 min | Serving: 24 ]
Scones are the easiest British tea time treat that you can make them from storecupboard ingredients within 30 minutes. These scones are best served with jam and clotted cream.
400 g Plain Flour
120 g Butter
120 g White Sugar
250 mL Milk
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Egg Yolk
1. Preheat oven to 220 °C.
2. Add plain flour (400 g), baking powder (4 tsp), white sugar (120 g) and butter (120 g) into a mixing bowl.
3. Rub the mixture into fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add egg (1 pc) and milk (250 mL), mix well.
5. Scatter some flour onto the work surface and roll the dough out to 1 inch thick.
6. Use a 2 inches cutter to stamp out scones and place them on a greased baking tray. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones.
7. Brush the tops of the scones with egg yolk (1 pc). Bake at 220 °C for 15 minutes.
8. Cool on a wire rack and serve with jam and clotted cream.
Various brands of flour have different water absorption capacity. If the dough is too wet after adding milk, adjust the consistency by adding some flour.
Do not overwork the dough after adding milk or the scones will be dense and heavy.
To make fruit scones, add some dried fruit to the dough.