[ Prep Time: 10 min | Cooking Time: 40 min | Serving: 6 ]
This is a simple recipe for the classic Italian-style meat sauce. The starch in panade coats the proteins in the ground meat, keeping them moist and prevent excess moisture loss during cooking. This results in an incredibly juicy and tender meat sauce!
Ingredients (Meat Sauce)
500 g Minced Beef
200 g Onion
800 g Chopped Tomato
120 g White Mushrooms
60 g Parmesan Cheese
1 White Bread Slice
6 Garlic Cloves
2 Tbsp Milk
1 Tbsp Tomato Purée
¼ Tsp Hot Pepper Flakes
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Ground black pepper
200 g Spaghetti
2 Tsp Salt
1 L Water
1. Pulse white bread (1 slice) with salt (½ tsp) and ground black pepper (½ tsp) in a food processor until finely chopped and set aside.
2. In a bowl, mix minced beef (500 g) with milk (2 tbsp) and the breadcrumbs until it is well combined.
3. Pulse onion (200 g) and garlic (6 cloves) in a food processor until finely chopped and set aside.
4. Pulse white mushrooms (120 g) in a food processor until finely chopped and set aside.
5. Heat oil (2 tbsp) in a pan over medium heat until just smoking. Cook onion and mushrooms over medium heat for 5 min.
6. Add tomato purée (1 tbsp), hot pepper flakes (¼ tsp) and minced beef, stir fry over medium heat for 5 min.
7. Add chopped tomato (800 g) and dried oregano (1 tsp), cover and simmer over low heat for 30 min.
8. Stir in parmesan cheese (60 g).
9. Bring a pot of water (1 L) to a boil with salt (2 tsp). Add dried spaghetti (200 g) and cook for 15 min or until al dente.
10. Add the meat sauce to the spaghetti and mix well.
11. Garnish with extra parmesan cheese and some dried parsley to serve.
The extra meat sauce can be store in a refrigerator for 2 days.
The extra meat sauce can be store in a freezer for 1 month.