[ Prep Time: 5 min | Cooking Time: 4 hr | Serving: 4 ]
Spiced beef shin is very delicious and simple to make at home. It can be served hot or cold and this braising sauce could also be used to cook other dishes.
480 g Beef Shin
2 g Sichuan Peppercorns
2 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick
70 g Rock Sugar
12 g Garlic Slices
3 Ginger Slices
80 mL Light Soy Sauce
30 mL Dark Soy sauce
1500 mL Water
¼ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Chicken Powder
1. Blanch the beef shin (480 g) for 10 min.
2. Stir fry the garlic slices (12 g), ginger (3 slices), shallot (1 pc) and beef shin with oil (1 tbsp).
3. Add water (1500 mL), light soy sauce (80 mL), dark soy sauce (30 mL), cinnamon stick (1 pc), Sichuan peppercorns (2 g) and star anise (2 pcs), simmer over medium heat for 5 min.
4. Add rock sugar (70 g), salt (¼ tsp) and chicken powder (1 tsp).
5. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 min. Turn off the heat and cover for another 1 hr. Repeat this step 3 times.
6. Let the beef shin cool down to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 3 hr.
It is a lot easier to slice the beef shin after refrigeration.